I met Gisel during university and we became roommates in our early 20s. Fast forward to 2013, I actually took on Gisel’s great advice to return to Canada, to apply for immigration before they switched to the current express track entry program. She has been a great friend and support throughout the process and I would recommend anyone to consult with her on any immigration/work permit matters.



                                                                                                                                        Gisela Newton, RCIC

When it comes to foreign nationals pursuing Canadian post-secondary degrees, a big question facing most of these students is: I now have my Canadian degree, what do I need to do to get my Permanent Residency?

Although graduating with an academic degree would most likely qualify you for a Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP), it does not mean you can automatically qualify for Canadian Permanent Residence. There are different paths to apply for Canadian PR, from Federal to Provincial programs, and almost all programs would you to have a valid job offer in a “Skilled” level position, relevant to your field of studies. The ‘skill’ level and classification assigned to most jobs is given by the NOC (National Occupational Classification) provided by ESDC.

From a hiring perspective, very few employers are willing to hire graduates with little to no relevant experience, and the fact that international graduates are on temporary work permits, makes their cases for employment sometimes even harder. If you are a prospective international student, who wish to stay in Canada post graduation, it is highly recommended that you plan for your career in advance to qualify for skilled immigration.

For any immigration related questions, feel free to reach me on


Gisela Newton

RCIC | iGlobal Canada Immigration



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *